Thanksgiving is a week away. Are you tired of your usual Thanksgiving related activities?
Here is a quick and dirty list of music related Thanksgiving activities that you can use in sessions right away. We hope you gobble them up!
- Turkey Hokey Pokey – Yup. A feathered version of the song we all know so well. The link actually takes to you a whole free Thanksgiving songbook but the Turkey Hokey Pokey is our favorite in the list.
- Turkey Trot – Another dance that will exercise gross motor and listening skills. Pair it with a rhythm track and you’ll be flapping in no time!
- Autumn-Time is Coming – This simple yet effective piggy backed song will help you incorporate colors in your session while bringing awareness of the outside world. Grab some leaves as props and you’ve got a party, baby!
- Theme Based Interventions for the Music Therapist: Holiday Edition – Twenty Thanksgiving & music themed movement, relaxation, games, instrument play and songs from music therapist, Jaycie Voorhees. That’s just the Thanksgiving section!
- The Gratitude Game – Use this color coordinated activity as inspiration for clients of any age. Create a simple chant or fill-in-the blank song where clients can insert things they are grateful for.
- Thank You For The Music – Do YOU want to thank your clients? Sing Abba’s Thank You For The Music and modify the words to apply to your group.
- Thank You For Being A Friend – Yes! The theme from Golden Girls! Did you know this is actually an entire song? Find it here. Share the first verse (that’s what we’re all used to anyway from the show) or play the whole thing. Start a discussion on friendship and see where it takes you!
- Thanksgiving Playlist – Lots of great songs here.